Camp Alvernia has a proud history of over 130 years serving children, youth, and families! It all began back in 1886, when Brother Isidore Garvey and his students collected enough Kirkman’s soap coupons to finance the purchase of a beautiful little piece of land, which they christened “Alvernia” after Mount LaVerna in Italy. The property was first intended for use as a summer retreat for the Franciscan Brothers. Two years after the purchase, the Brothers began to bring some of their students out to Alvernia for some recreation and education away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Camp Alvernia was born.